Dishwasher Giving Off a Horrible Smell? Here’s Why!
Is your dishwasher giving off persistent fishy odors or rotten egg smells? You can catch this before it worsens into an unbearable situation; you just have to understand the factors causing it. That’s where we can help! Here are the likely culprits behind that horrid smell:
There are plenty of tiny food particles that can get stuck inside the nooks and crannies of your dishwasher. Over time, the accumulation of dirt and greasy particles in the filter can give way to bad odors.
Wastewater could be flowing back into the dishwasher due to a bent hose or it being positioned wrong, but this can be simply fixed by making sure the hose is straightened out and elevated at all times so there’s no backflow. A high loop is necessary so that the dishwasher drain is raised before it connects to the kitchen drain.
What about limescale buildup?
Limescale can be seen as a chalky deposit on surfaces. This is the effect of the water supply in your area! Water with a higher concentration of minerals can give way to those pesky chalky deposits along the dishwasher unit. These are clumpy, hard and attach themselves to elements meant to wash away any remaining food particles. So the more exposure your appliance has to it, the more likely you’re going to run into some problems and growing odors.
5 Ways to Get Rid of the Smell
Regular cleaning and maintenance of any appliance, including your dishwasher, is incredibly important. Here are some key things you’ll need to focus on during your usual maintenance:
- Make sure to discard any large pieces of food before putting your dishes in.
- Wipe out any grease remaining behind in your dishwasher each week using a quality dishwasher cleaner. This will also help make sure you remove any smells before they become any issue.
- Want to avoid pieces of food clogging up your drain? Rinse out your filter on occasion.
- Focus on the spots like the sprayer’s arm and heating element when cleaning so you can make sure there’s no limescale buildup.
- Pay attention to all the nooks and crannies (for example, the rubber seal on the dishwasher door) as these are what usually give way to those horrid smells. Use hot, soapy water for your cleaning.
These are the best ways you can get rid of that terrible smell! No time on your hands and you need a professional service? We can maintain and repair your dishwasher for you!
Simply call us and the team at Nationwide will have a technician dispatched ASAP!