Over time, dishwasher racks will eventually wear out. Heavy-coated racks will start to deteriorate, which may require some repairs.
For those who are not fond of the technical side, repairing a dishwasher rack may seem like an intimidating task.
This article will help you understand how to repair dishwasher rack with no pressure. You will learn everything from the tools and materials needed to the step-by-step procedure, the necessary repair costs, and new tips on maintaining the appliance. Keep reading to discover more.
Tools and Materials for Dishwasher Rack Repair
The following tools and materials are essential to execute the repairs needed successfully.
- Rotary Tool: This tool cuts or grinds metal surfaces, like racks and dishwasher baskets.
- Pliers: Pliers are excellent for gripping and turning nuts and bolts, which makes them great tools for repairing a dishwasher rack.
- Screwdriver: A screwdriver is needed when removing screws that may hold together the parts of your dishwasher basket.
- Hammer: This is needed when you need to tap any loose parts that may need tightening.
- Replacement Baskets: Depending on the model, you may also need to replace baskets or clips to fix your dishwasher basket.
- Protective Eyewear: Safety goggles are always important when doing repairs and should be worn at all times.
- Rack Repair Kit: A rack repair kit is a great addition to have on hand when repairing a dishwasher basket. A kit typically contains all the necessary tools and materials for most repairs.
- Vinyl Paint: Vinyl paint gives the basket a new look once repairs are finished.
Dishwasher Rack Repair Procedure
The repair process may vary depending on the problem with your dishwasher rack. Here are the different scenarios you may encounter and how to fix them.
Loose Basket or Tines
- If your basket is wobbly, the first thing to check is if there are loose screws that need tightening.
- If this doesn’t fix the issue, you may have to replace the entire basket or some of its tines.
- Remove all nuts and bolts before replacing the basket or tines.
- If your dishwasher basket is rusty, you must sand and repaint it with vinyl paint.
- Use a rotary tool to grind down any rust on the surface.
- Once the rust spots have been removed, apply a thin coat of vinyl paint to the entire basket.
- Allow the paint to dry before reassembling the dishwasher.
Broken Dryer Moisture Sensor
- If the dryer moisture sensor needs to be replaced, make sure to unplug the power before starting.
- Remove any screws or clips holding together the parts of your dishwasher basket.
- To remove the old sensor, carefully unscrew it from its bracket, and use a screwdriver to unscrew it.
- Replace it with the new one and screw it back in place.
- Then, reassemble the dishwasher and test it to ensure the sensor works correctly.
- First, unscrew the screws that are holding the wheels in place.
- Then, carefully remove the old wheels and replace them with new ones.
- Make sure to tighten the screws securely before testing.
Broken Rack Tines
- Use a hammer and pliers to remove all of the screws that are holding together the parts of your dishwasher basket.
- Carefully pull out the old tines before installing new ones. Make sure to tighten all screws securely before reinstalling the basket.
- Once the repair is complete, test the dishwasher to ensure everything is working properly.
Metal Rack Repair
- Check if any of the screws are loose.
- Use a screwdriver to remove and replace any screws that need tightening.
- Next, use a rotary tool to grind down any rust spots on the surface.
- Once all of the rusted parts are removed, apply a coat of vinyl
Deformed Dishwasher Racks
- Remove all screws that are holding together the parts of the basket before replacing them with a new ones.
- Shape it into its original form with a hammer and a flat-head screwdriver.
- Be careful not to over-tap the metal, as this can cause further deformation.
- Once you have reshaped the basket, reinstall it in your dishwasher and test it out.
As the replacement process may be overwhelming for some, here are some tips to help you out:
- Please take pictures of the parts before removing them for reference.
- Make sure all screws and nuts are tightened securely.
- Use protective eyewear when doing any repairs.
- Before you replace any parts in your dishwasher basket, make sure to double-check that they are compatible with your model.
- This will avoid any headaches later down the line and ensure that your repairs are done properly and safely.
- Also, take care when reassembling the dishwasher basket so that all screws and nuts are securely tightened.
- Finally, always wear safety goggles when performing repairs for your protection.
Rack Repair Cost
The cost of repairing a dishwasher basket will depend on the model, type of repair needed, and any extra parts that may be required.
In general, most repairs will cost anywhere from $50 to $200, depending on the complexity of the repair. If you are replacing a basket or tines, they can range from $20-$80, depending on the size and material.